The Life of Matthias de Véreaux
Seigneur of Montclair
Part VI
The Lonely Seigneur
There are moments in a man’s life when the quiet around him becomes impossible to ignore.
In the forests beyond Montclair, silence is a peaceful companion. In the halls of a large château, however, silence can feel very different.
During the evenings, after the servants had withdrawn to their quarters and the candles burned low in the corridors, I sometimes found myself walking the western wing of the château alone.
The stone floors carried the sound of my footsteps far down the hallways.
A place built to house many voices often feels strange when only one remains.
It was during such evenings that my thoughts most often turned to a matter that had become a frequent subject of conversation among both the townspeople and my family.
Marriage.
A Seigneur in my position is generally expected to marry. Such arrangements serve many purposes beyond companionship. They strengthen alliances between families, secure the future of an estate, and provide stability to those who depend upon the house.
I understood these expectations perfectly well.
And in truth, I did not oppose them.
The difficulty was not in the idea of marriage itself.
The difficulty was in myself.
I have never been particularly comfortable in the company of others. Even as a child I preferred solitary pursuits - books, maps, quiet walks through the forest - rather than the gatherings and conversations that others seemed to enjoy so easily.
Over the years I came to understand that this disposition made certain things more complicated.
Courtship, for example.
A man who struggles to speak freely in ordinary conversation rarely becomes skilled at expressing affection or admiration to a woman.
Occasionally, during my visits to Montclair, I would notice a woman in the square or along the river road whose presence caught my attention.
Perhaps she carried herself with unusual grace, or perhaps there was something warm in the way she laughed with her friends.
In such moments I might imagine what it would be like to speak with her properly, to ask about her life, her thoughts, her hopes for the future.
But such thoughts rarely lasted long.
It would not be appropriate for the Seigneur of Montclair to pursue such things among the townspeople. The differences in station alone would invite complications for everyone involved.
So the thoughts remained nothing more than passing reflections.
There had been other possibilities, of course.
Once, not long ago, a neighboring nobleman had proposed an arrangement that might have solved the matter entirely.
The offer involved his youngest daughter.
The proposal arrived in the form of a carefully written letter that described the benefits of strengthening ties between our lands. The advantages were laid out clearly - shared resources, expanded trade, and the promise of mutual support in difficult times.
I considered the proposal seriously for several days.
But I eventually declined.
The truth of the matter was that the arrangement felt less like the beginning of a life and more like the settlement of an account.
The daughter herself, I was told, possessed a temperament that matched her father’s ambitions rather closely. Several travelers who had passed through Montclair described her as a woman whose presence could fill an entire hall.
Not all descriptions were particularly flattering.
Still, that alone was not the reason I refused.
The greater truth was that the thought of entering into such a union filled me with a strange sense of unease.
It seemed less like companionship and more like surrendering the quiet order I had carefully built within my own life.
Perhaps that was selfish.
Or perhaps it was simply honest.
Whatever the reason, I sent my reply and the matter ended there.
The discussions, however, did not end.
My family spoke of it often on their side of the château, and rumors occasionally drifted through the servants’ quarters before reaching my ears.
Some wondered if I lacked the courage to pursue a wife.
Others speculated that I had some secret reason for avoiding the matter entirely.
The townspeople of Montclair were more generous in their interpretations. When the subject arose in the square, I am told they often suggested that I was simply waiting for the proper match.
In truth, I was not entirely certain what I was waiting for.
Perhaps I hoped that one day the matter would resolve itself naturally.
Or perhaps I believed that my life, as it existed already, was sufficient.
A man can grow accustomed to solitude when it has been his companion for many years.
Yet there were moments, quiet moments late in the evening, when I wondered what it might be like to share the western wing of the château with another voice.
A voice that did not echo down the corridor and fade away unanswered.
When such thoughts came, I usually set them aside and returned to my books.
There were maps to study.
Records to review.
And responsibilities to attend to.
The people of Montclair depended upon those things far more than they depended upon the marital status of their Seigneur.
At least, that is what I told myself.
And for the most part, it was enough.
(To be continued in Part 7: Demands in the Library)

It is like reading your diary.
ReplyDeleteIt is like peeping into your inner self.
I imagine to imagine, and imagination imagines again. Imagine imagines your quiet world.