The Life of Matthias de Véreaux
Seigneur of Montclair
Part IV
The Storm in the Forest
The forest is rarely predictable.
A man may enter it under a clear sky and calm wind, believing the day will pass quietly, only to find the woods transformed before nightfall. I have learned over the years that the mountains surrounding Montclair have their own temperament, and they do not always reveal their intentions in advance.
It was during one of my hunting trips that I was reminded of this most clearly.
That month I had invited a man named Henri to accompany me into the forest. Henri worked occasionally at the mill near the river and was known in Montclair as a man who enjoyed telling stories. I suspected the journey might be a lively one.
The townspeople seemed particularly pleased when Henri was chosen. Several of his friends insisted he would return with tales exaggerated beyond recognition before the week was finished.
Henri himself accepted the invitation with enthusiasm.
“Seigneur,” he said, grinning broadly, “I promise I will not embarrass the town too greatly.”
“That would be appreciated,” I replied.
We left Montclair early that morning, following the familiar road beside the river before turning into the forest paths that lead toward the hidden stream I favor for fishing.
Henri proved to be excellent company.
Unlike some of the men who accompany me on these trips, he was not troubled by long silences. When conversation came, it flowed easily, filled with stories of village life and humorous observations about the people of Montclair.
Several times he managed to make me laugh, which I confess does not happen often in the halls of the château.
We reached the hidden river by midday and established our small camp along the same moss-covered bank I had used many times before.
The afternoon passed peacefully.
We fished along the river, catching several trout and releasing a few smaller ones back into the water. The forest was quiet except for the gentle current and the occasional call of birds moving through the trees.
As evening approached, however, the air began to change.
At first it was only a faint shift in the wind, barely noticeable among the branches. Then the sky darkened gradually behind the treetops, and the forest seemed to grow unusually still.
Henri looked upward through the canopy.
“That may be trouble,” he said.
I followed his gaze.
The clouds had gathered quickly, heavy and dark above the mountains.
We had just enough time to secure the camp before the storm arrived.
The wind struck first, rushing through the forest with a sudden force that caused the trees to sway and groan. Branches rattled overhead, and the leaves whipped through the air in chaotic bursts.
Then the thunder began.
In the open valley such sounds might roll across the sky like distant drums. In the forest, however, thunder feels much closer. It crashes through the trees and echoes among the hills until it seems the very ground might be shaking.
Henri and I remained near the small fire, which we shielded carefully from the wind.
Then came a tremendous cracking sound somewhere deeper in the forest.
It was followed by a heavy crash that echoed through the trees like cannon fire.
Henri’s eyes widened.
“Good Lord,” he said.
Another crash followed moments later.
Two great trees, weakened perhaps by age or rot, had been pushed down by the storm not far from our camp. The sound of them striking the forest floor was so sudden and violent that it seemed almost unreal.
For a brief moment we both stared into the darkness of the woods, half expecting something enormous to emerge from the shadows.
Then Henri began to laugh.
I looked at him curiously.
“I imagine,” he said between breaths, “that if anyone in Montclair heard that noise tonight, they would swear the Seigneur and I had started a war with the forest.”
I could not help but smile at the thought.
The storm raged for some time after that. Rain swept through the trees in heavy bursts, and the wind continued to shake the branches above us.
Yet our small camp remained secure.
Eventually the thunder moved farther into the mountains, and the forest settled once more into its usual quiet.
The fire burned low, casting a soft light across the clearing.
Henri leaned back against a fallen log and stared up at the sky where the clouds had begun to break apart.
After a long moment he spoke again.
“You know something, Seigneur?”
“What is that?” I asked.
Henri considered his words carefully.
“People in Montclair respect you more than you think.”
The statement caught me slightly off guard.
I stirred the fire gently with a stick.
“I hope they respect the position,” I said. “It is an important one.”
Henri shook his head.
“No,” he said quietly. “I mean you.”
For a time neither of us spoke.
The forest had grown calm again, and the river moved quietly through the darkness nearby.
I did not know exactly how to respond to what he had said.
Perhaps because I was uncertain whether it was true.
At last I simply nodded and added another piece of wood to the fire.
The flames rose slightly, casting warm light across the clearing.
Not long afterward we retired to our tents.
But as I lay awake listening to the quiet forest beyond the canvas walls, Henri’s words returned to my thoughts again and again.
People respect you more than you think.
It was a comforting idea.
Yet for reasons I could not entirely explain, I found it difficult to believe completely.
Still, the forest had been kind to us that night.
And in the morning, the storm would be gone.
(To be continued in Part 5: The Quiet Château)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Hey you! Leave me a comment. I won't bite... this time.