Thursday, November 19, 2009

It's Coming

Here I sit in the dim light of my living room. The TV is a forgotten quiet glow in the background. I try to distract myself by looking around the room, but my thoughts are on only one thing. It dominates everything, because I know it's coming.

There is nobody else around to help me when it comes, and nobody else to ever care. The thoughts that run through my mind all return to what will happen when it gets here. I know it's coming, and there's just nothing I can do right now. But what will I do then?

How do I prepare for when it comes? What should I do? I know I have to be ready, so I won't leave this room. The more I think about it, the harder it gets. I begin to shake a little and I start to sweat. My mouth goes from dry to wet, and my vision blurs. The time seems to stretch on forever as if to tease me before the time when it comes.

I continue to sit there in the darkness not knowing what I'll do. Should I call somebody, or just face it alone? I know it's coming because I was fully warned. The hard part is not knowing exactly when it will get here. Why does it keep me waiting here like a worm dangling on a hook waiting to be eaten?

Just when I decide that maybe I should call, I hear a strange sound outside. My heart begins to pound loud in my chest, and my whole body tenses with anticipation of this inevitable event. Then I hear a sound on my front porch, almost a whisper. I wait not knowing if it's my imagination or maybe my worst fear.

Then finally as an eternity passes I hear a loud bang on the door! I jump to my feet as the door bangs for a second time! I know I need to be fast so I can be ready for it! Bang! A third time that pounding crashes into my front door! I move swiftly to intercept it, and bound across the room!

As I put my hand on the door and begin to use all of my strength, I ask in a meek voice, "Who... who is it?"

Then from out of the night comes the booming reply, "PIZZA DELIVERY!"

Ahh, it's finally here!

9 comments:

  1. Brilliant twist at the end Ratty. The tale reminds me of The Hounds of Tindalos by H P Lovecraft, only that doesn't have a happy ending :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @John
    This story all of a sudden just came to me out of nowhere. It was as if I was pushed to write it. I really need to read HP Lovecraft again. He has been one of my favorites, but it's been awhile. I used to have a book with several of his stories, but I lost in in a fire many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, you have a new blog? I like it, your story always amuses me, you have a way of writing that truly entertains.

    hope you enjoyed your pizza :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Betchai
    I'm glad you found my new blog. This is my way of telling my fiction stories now. They are mostly unrelated to nature, so I thought I'd just put them on this all new site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me on the edge of my seat Ratty. At first I thought it was death, then I thought it was Santa....but the Pizza guy? Now, I NEVER would have guessed THAT.
    Great story, Ratty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He has been one of my favorites, but it's been awhile


    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete
  7. @The Retired One
    A lot of times after eating pizza I wish it had been death. :D
    -

    @Kanishk
    Who? The pizza guy? He used to be one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ahsan
    I'm glad you liked it. I hope to have more soon.

    ReplyDelete

Hey you! Leave me a comment. I won't bite... this time.